This is the most common duty system.
- Firefighters work 2 days, 2 nights and have 4 days off
- Day shifts are 8am to 7pm, night shifts are 7pm to 8am
- Firefighters are available for immediate turnout 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
This system is dependent on the station.
- Firefighters work one of two shift patterns
- 4 days on, 4 days off, or
- 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on, 3 days off
- Firefighters work from station between 8am and 5pm where they are available for immediate turnout. Between 5pm and 8am firefighters are available from home and are mobilised via an alert system
- Firefighters must live within a 5 minute radius of the station
DAY CREWING SPECIALIST
Currently only one station (Cleckheaton) operates this system.
- Firefighters work a 2-2-4 duty system at a fire station (as above) but are available on call from home on the nights of day shifts and days of night shifts, for Urban Search and Rescue
FLEXI DUTY SYSTEM
This system is worked by Station Managers and above, and the Fire Investigation team.
- Personnel work a 5 week rota with a mixture of 8 hour shifts, 24 hours shifts and rota days over 7 days
RETAINED DUTY SYSTEM (ON-CALL)
There are ten on-call fire stations in West Yorkshire.
- Firefighters are available from home/work via an alerter
- Each firefighter submits their availability weekly to ensure the fire appliance is available for use
- Staff must live/work within five minutes of the station.